Monday, November 17, 2008

hello monday



Goooood Monday morning to you :o) Thought I'd pop in quickly and post my missing Friday Etsy love & say hello and such.

Just saw this on little site called Ecorazzi (not my favorite title, nor my favorite site, but it often has interesting tidbits such as this recent quote from Barack Obama):

“I was just reading an article in The New York Times by Michael Pollan about food and the fact that our entire agricultural system is built on cheap oil. As a consequence, our agriculture sector actually is contributing more greenhouse gases than our transportation sector. And in the mean time, it’s creating monocultures that are vulnerable to national security threats, are now vulnerable to sky-high food prices or crashes in food prices, huge swings in commodity prices, and are partly responsible for the explosion in our healthcare costs because they’re contributing to type 2 diabetes, stroke and heart disease, obesity, all the things that are driving our huge explosion in healthcare costs.”

Jared could tell you that it's very exciting to me that Obama is reading anything written by Michael Pollan. In fact, I think I've driven Jared sort of nuts with all my going on about 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' and how I want us to be more thoughtful about the way we eat and buy food. When I first heard a talk from Mr. Pollan maybe 3 years ago I thought, wow, I wish I could do something about that - I wish I could help to change the farm bill! Thinking, of course, that no administration would be looking at the agricultural system in America anytime soon. But maybe that day is coming. It would be a really huge help to our country (and other countries) - not just to help our farmers, but to increase our health and our security, and to maybe remind us that just because we don't see cost up front doesn't mean we're not paying for it further down the road (I mean c'mon, do you really think eggs can only cost 97 cents a dozen??). Cheap food isn't always what it seems.

But onto the other things...

There are just a few lovely etsy'ers I'd love to feature this week, but they're good ones! Check them out (oh, and check back soon for more goodies posted for the shop, and some super fun pics & video of the Bird - she's getting to be quite the explorer!):







Silver Peas in a Pod Necklace by Sudlow


Have a lovely day everyone...I'll be back later with more of my own goodies!
xo, devon :o)

1 comment:

Laura Zarrin said...

That pea necklace is too cute. BTW I'm tagging you. See my blog for details. http://www.CreativeWhimsies.blogspot.com